Power surges can take a huge toll on household and office appliances, destroying sensitive and expensive equipment.
A power surge occurs when the amount of current flowing through an electrical system is higher than normal. If there is an increased current flowing into them frequently, then they will eventually end up breaking.
Here are some simple recommendations that can keep you and your appliances safe.
Know when a power surge is going to occur
A power surge can often take place during a storm. If there is lightning, then you are at a greater risk of a power surge. Slightly before a power surge, you may notice that the lights in your home will start to flicker. This is a good indicator to unplug some of your more sensitive electronics.
Purchase a surge protector
There are two types of surge protectors. The simplest is a surge protector plug. You just plug your appliances directly into it and in the event of a power surge, the plug should blow and none of the excess voltage will reach your appliance. However, you will only be protecting the appliances that are hooked up to it.
The other option is to use a qualified and licensed electrician to install a surge protector that covers your whole home. This will be installed by the breaker. It can be a costlier solution, but it is going to be a lot more effective.
The best possible protection against power surges is to unplug your appliances whenever they are not in use. No power surge can damage an appliance that is not plugged in, and it is also a smart move for conserving energy as well as staying safe.
Identify faulty wiring
Wires that are damaged or exposed increase the likelihood of a surge, especially to the specific outlet they lead to.
Here are some tips to help you identify faulty wiring:
- Buzzing sound or vibration coming from outlets
- Frequent tripping of circuit breakers
- Visible burn marks or burning smells coming from outlets
If you notice any of these signs, call a licensed electrician ASAP.